Gaajar ka halwa – carrot halwa is a dessert from North India usually made with the red carrot which is seasonal. We used to call this ‘Delhi Carrot’ and this variety was available in Mumbai only during winters. Come January, and mom would make this gaajar ka halwa in large quantities to satiate the sweet-toothed cravings of ours.
For me Gaajar ka halwa or carrot halwa was ‘love at first taste’. I very vividly remember the first time I had, mother had made this using the red carrots. We children were back from school in the evening. Suddenly my eyes caught this tempting, red-colored food on the table with lots of ghee and nuts. Mother gave all of us a bowlful once we had washed and changed out off our uniforms. My bowl became empty within seconds, just melted and disappeared. Finished off the second helping too. And to this day I have a weakness for Gaajar ka halwa or carrot halwa.
The last time I made the carrot halwa, it was on an impulse, just had the orange carrots at home and moreover the red variety was not in the market yet. These taste just as good too.
I have garnished the gaajar ka halwa with blanched almonds and some cashew nuts. My sister, Meena, bought me blanched almonds from USA. These are super easy to use as there is no need to soak in water and remove the skin.
I normally end up making large quantities of gaajar ka halwa as this stays good for up to a week when refrigerated. You will love me more when I will give you different ways to eat the gaajar ka halwa, though my favourite is to have this as is.
Different Ways to Eat Gaajar Ka Halwa, Carrot Halwa:
- take a small bowlful and eat it when slightly warm or at room temperature
- mix two to three spoonfuls of carrot halwa in milk, boil it well and have it as carrot kheer
- spread the carrot halwa over a chappati, roll and heat it on a griddle with drizzle of ghee
- make a gaajar ka halwa sandwich; toast or grill the bread after filling with halwa
- take large spoonfuls of carrot halwa and top it with dollops of ice-cream, garnish with nuts of your choice